Carla Williams a multimedia journalist and graduate student at the UC Berkeley School of Journalism, where she is on the audio track.
Williams has worked for KQED AND KALX. She has also reported for Oakland North, a digital news site where he covered topics related to crime and community. She has reported about social and cultural events, marginalized communities, and systemic injustices in communities of color.
She has worked and volunteered for local newspapers, magazines and community radio stations in Madison and the Bay Area. She has a desire to change the narrative of reporting on marginalized communities.
For fun, Williams enjoys reading, watching Married at First Sight and dancing off beat to whatever toon she hears. She’s on a self-discovering journey where she’s learning through storytelling how to share the most intriguing stories, from people who aren’t often heard.
You can reach her through email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
These clips consist of different works that I have done in audio. I have produced, hosted, and edited Podcasts and radio segments.
On this episode of Northgate Radio, we explore ways Bay Area residents are surviving and thriving in their environments. For this episode, I served as Producer for the show. I managed our two host and three reporters, developed the show script, and edited segments for the show.
For this episode of Northgate Radio, we look at how community members were looking to make changes in their communities and help others create better opportunities for themselves. For this episode, I co-hosted the show.
This audio piece was done for the digital news site Oakland North. I produced and narrated this piece with how incarceration affects families in Oakland. I interviewed Anita Wills, whose son is currently serving a sixty-six-year prison term.
For this project, I interview with community organizers and homeless community members in Oakland, California, about vehicle dwellers having their car towed. I co-produced this project with Annie Berman.
University of California, Berkeley - Expected 2020
Master of Journalism (M.J.)
Edgewood College - Madison, WI - Dec 2014
Bachelor of Arts: English
Aug 2018 – Dec. 2018
Oakland North (Berkeley, CA)
- Pitched and reported weekly multimedia stories published on school’s news outlet.
- Spearheaded multimedia reporting project about families affected by mass incarceration.
Jan 2016 - Oct 2016
- Umoja Magazine (Madison, WI)
- Reported at local events to develop feature and community focused stories.
Special Events Reporter
June 2016 - Sept 2016
Cap Times (Madison, WI)
- Published stories covering local events for communities of color.
Jan 2019 – Current
Berkeley School of Journalism (Berkeley, CA)
- Teaching Assistant to continuing education students in reporting, production, and editing
- Produce and engineer 2-ways, ISDN interviews for North Gate Studios
Producer/ Sound Engineer
June 2016 - July 2018
WORT Radio (Madison, WI)
- Administrated content, writing material for scripts and links.
- Converted text, graphics, video and audio files into necessary formats.
- Organized audience feedback and put files into archives.
- Edited broadcasts using Adobe Audition, logic and Sound Forge.
Radio Host/ Announcer
Jan 2017- July 2018
WWMV-LP Radio (Madison, WI)
- Edited text, graphics, video and audio files.
- Interviewed community leaders and guests.
Podcast Host/ Producer/ Sound Engineer
Jan 2017 - July 2018
The View From Here (Madison, WI)
- Networked with local community members and leaders.
- Edited text, graphics, video and audio files using Adobe Audition, Pro Tools and Sound Forge.
Production: Adobe Audition, ProTools, Logic Pro
Reporting: Public Records, FOIA, Excel